Before reading this article, you must be know about full detail of ROM (Read Only Memory), so read this article..
Here, we will spread light on the some aspects of ROM such as – Advantages, Disadvantage, Characteristics, and features of all types of ROM.
Advantages and Disadvantage of ROM
There are several benefits and limitations of all types of ROM, Below explain each one –
Advantage of Mask Read Only Memory (MROM)
- Lesser production cost, because it’s cost of IC according to its size with per bit.
- It is high compact device.
- Cheaper compare to other secondary memory.
Disadvantage of Mask Read Only Memory (MROM)
Design bugs are extremely costly, because if any time any bug is occurred in the code then MROM is work less and must be replaced in order to alter its coding.
Advantages of Programmable Read Only Memory (PROM)
- Several softwares are available in the market for programming, so we are not depending on the hardwiring of program on chip.
- Since it is not possible to un-blow the fuse, so the authenticity of the data remains intact and it is impossible to remove or alter the contents.
Disadvantage of Programmable Read Only Memory (PROM)
- Data cannot be modify or rewrite, if any error is occurred.
Advantages of Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EPROM)
- Non volatile nature
- It can be deleted and rewrite program.
- Cost effective then PROM
Disadvantages of Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EPROM)
- It consumes high static power.
- Not flexible to delete any specific byte, beyond of all data is deleted.
- EPROM takes more time to delete data.
Advantages of Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM)
- Ways of deleting data is electrical and instant.
- EEPROM can be rewrite infinite number of turns.
- Data deletion can be done with byte wise.
- If, to need to alter data then external devices are not needed.
Disadvantages of Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM)
- Different voltages are needed for different operations such s deleting, reading and writing.
- Limited data retention period
- EEPROM are more costly than other ROM devices.
Advantages of Flash Read Only Memory (Flash ROM)
- Higher data transfer speed.
- It is capable to hold data while turning off power.
- It has high storage capacities.
- Less prone to damage
Disadvantages of Flash Read Only Memory (Flash ROM)
- Expensive compare to hard disk.
- Read/write attempts are limited.
Other Disadvantages of ROM
- ROM is capable only to Read data.
- We can’t modify, delete or overwrite its data, which is stored inside ROM.
- It is a slower memory.
- Unlike RAM, incorrectly erasing ROM contents will brick the memory.
- Special types of ROM that allows to user to rewrite option in your ROM memory
Characteristics and Features of ROM
- Rom delivers needed instructions to make communication in between several hardware components of your computer system.
- ROM is non-volatile memory that means, its stored data never destroy when power get turn-off.
- Simple interface compare to RAM.
- Low power consumption
- It is not more expensive to RAM.
- It is static nature memory that means, it does not require refreshing every time.
- It helps to store data long time (permanently).
- Its testing method is very simple.
- ROM is higher reliable memory because in which used all circuits are very simple.
- ROM’s data is always known, so it can be easily verified.
- All necessary data is stored in the ROM, which is needed to start your PC and loads operating system.