What is Network Operating System
Definition – Network operating system is like as software that is installed on the server side on the network infrastructure. Network operating system provides the several functionalities for managing the data, applications, security, and other functions. In this system, all computers and other terminal are connected each other through LAN (Local Area Network) line or Inter-network system. Main objective of NOS (Network operating system) is to share data, printer access, and other devices. Novell NetWare was introduced as a first network operating system, in 1983.
Read More – Operating System Tutorial
List of Content
- Types of Network Operating System
- Functions of Network Operating System
- Components of Network Operating System
- Examples of Networking Operating System
- Feature of Network Operating System
- Characteristics of Network Operating System
- Advantages of Network Operating System
- Disadvantages of Network Operating System
Types of Network Operating System
Read More – Real Time Operating System Tutorial
Here, we spread the light on list of network operating system (NOS).
Peer to Peer NOS
Peer to Peer network operating system is designed especially for small to medial type local area networks. In Peer to Peer NOS, all users can share resources and any type of data (file) on their workstation computer system, and these shared resources can be accessed by other computer system. In this network operating system, all computer systems contain equal privileges for consuming the all resources which are presented on the network.
Client/server network operating system provides the several functions and applications on the center hub, and this center hub is known as “Dedicated File Server”. Now client workstation can access all resources which are existed on the network. Multiple users are capable to share equal resources on the network operating system from different location at a same time.
Functions of Network Operating System (NOS)
Read More – Distributed Operating System Tutorial
There are some working functionality of network operating system.
- NOS allows the protection of data, information, and their hardware components from unauthorized users.
- It allows to program testing routines.
- It can memory management while loading of programs.
- To detect the all errors and bugs while execution of their jobs.
- It provides the remote access to server/client machines.
- It manages the sequence of all their processing jobs.
- NOS allows to all users for creating user account, and they can manage them as well.
- It allows to all Configuration and management of entire network resources.
- It allows to all communication services.
- It can monitor as well as troubleshooting the entire network.
Components of Network Operating System
Read More – Guide to Multitasking Operating System
There are two types of components such as
There are some devices which are physically connected with each other.
- Server M/C
- Client M/C
- Peer M/C
- Communication medium – Guided media – coaxial cable, fiber optic cables.
- Unguided media – microwaves, infra-red waves
- Connecting Terminals – Routers, Bridges, Hubs, Repeaters, Gateways, Switches, hub, Network Interface Card, Shared printers.
These are some programs which are installed on the network machines.
- Networking Operating System – Unix, Linux, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows XP.
- Protocol Suite – OSI Model (Open System Interconnections), TCP / IP Model
Examples of Networking Operating System
Read More – Explain to Multi user Operating System
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Artisoft’s LANtastic
- Novell NetWare
- Banyan VINES
- Sun Solaris
- Mac OS X
Feature | Characteristics of Network Operating System
Read More – Guide to Single User Operating System
- Network operating system (NOS) has ability to detect the different H/W and shared data over several machines. NOS is supportable to several applications and third party as well.
- It contains the all possible security features of operating system. Users can manage all remote terminals.
- Network operating system can support the internet functionality and their connection management as well.
- In NOS, administrator can control the different setting such as N/W security protocol, data backup for single and interconnected computer system.
- Printer and other applications can be shared.
- Users can use their backup database and web services.
- Directory and name services management
- It has ability of Inter networking like as routing and WAN ports.
- It is capable of clustering.
- NOS has ability to support for all processors, application, and their hardware.
- All user s can create user account, and they can manage user logging in and logging out
Advantages of Network Operating System
Read More – Guide to Multiprocessor Operating System
- Server provides the best protection.
- Easy hardware’s configuration.
- It is more specialized to H/W and operating system.
- All terminals can easily access to server from several different areas.
- Dedicated file server has better stability.
- Excellent performance.
- New technology can be easily configured in this network.
- Interoperability – It means all components of this operating system can work simultaneously.
- Great Scale able.
- No need of more hardware equipment.
- No required the centralized server.
- Easy setup system.
Disadvantages of Network Operating System
Read More – Explain to Batch Processing Operating System
- It does not contain the any center storage space.
- It is not more protected system.
- Need regular services and updates as per requirement.
- It totally depends upon the center server for all types of operations such as storage and accessing data.
- It is more expensive.