If sometime you forgot your Mac or Macbook password then don’t take headache because here we will explain about how to reset Mac password and recover if you forgot Mac admin password with using incredible 7 easier methods. In the end of this article, you will say that it is easier task and i can do it myself!!
Before going to ahead for getting to solution, making ensure that you are introducing correctly password. So firstly you can try these primary simplest tricks:
- Caps Lock is turn off because passwords are case sensitive
- You should be try to log in without introducing a password
- Try with using of your password hint with clicking on question mark in the password field.
- If past you have been changed password and another new one is not correctly then you can try to log in with using of old password.
How to Reset Mac Password
Here, we will guide you about how to reset or recover Mac login password if you forgot Mac password, and then you will be able to unlock your Mac or Macbook for getting to access your data.
There methods help to reset your Mac password which are most suitable for all Mac version such as M1 MacBook Air, M1 MacBook Pro, M1 Mac mini, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and more.
- Reset Mac Log in Password Using a Password Hint
- Reset Mac Admin Password with Using Another Administrator
- Reset Mac Admin Password Using your Apple ID
- Reset Mac Log In Password Using Terminal in Recovery Mode
- Reset Mac Password With Using FileVault
- Reset Mac Password Using Terminal as Single User Mode
- Reset Mac Log In Password Using Keychain
- Reset Mac Password Using Target Disk Mode
Now let’s start!!
Reset Mac Log in Password Using a Password Hint
Before getting to recover your Mac password then firstly you should be checked to see if password hint refresh your memory. You can see hint when you try to make three times incorrect.
- Firstly you have to go Apple > System Preferences.
- Select <Users & Groups>
- Next press the <Lock> icon that is showing at the bottom left side of your screen.
- Now you hit <Return key> to three times.
Your screen will get to shake every time when you press the return and after third shake your hint will be displayed below the Password field. Don’t take headache, here no any limitations number of times you can enter test password.
If your password hint is not getting to appear that means it was not set to show password hints in the Login Options.
Now you can use another method to reset your password.
Reset Mac Admin Password with Using Another Administrator
If your Mac is containing multiple users and you have log in information to another one Mac’s account, then you have a chance to recover your Mac login password with using of that account. Here’s how
- Firstly turn on your Mac and get log in with using another administrator.
Example: if you wish to reset your Mac password for accessing the admin account “Harry“, and now you can choose another administrator “Smite” to get sign in Mac
- Now you have to go System Preferences > Users & Groups tab
- Next click on <lock> icon that is showing at the bottom left corner and then introduce the admin password for second password.
- Further choose admin user whose password you want to need reset .And then, hit on <Reset Password>
- New window will be displaying and then you can create new password and press on <Change Password>
- Now you have been reset your Mac admin password with successfully, but it is possible if you have several admin account on your Macbook.
Reset Mac Admin Password Using your Apple ID
macOS lets you to recover log in password with using of active Apple ID that is linked with their account. This feature must be activated by default. if some time it is not then firstly you have to activate password reset. To do this: go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > check the box next to Allow user to reset password using Apple ID.
Once done this process, you can recover your Mac log in password with following these steps:
- If, you try to restart your Mac with entering wrong password for many times into your login window. Then you will look at password hint and other option for getting to reset account password along with Apple ID.
- Next introduce your Apple ID and Password.
- And Press on <Enter> then you will get popup and asking to restart your Mac.
- Now hit on <Restart> button, and you can log in along with your new password.
Reset Mac Log In Password Using Terminal in Recovery Mode
Recovery mode helps you to recover your Mac password with using of Terminal utility. This is a easier way to change Mac password. How’s here:
- Firstly get to shut down your Mac computer
- Now press Power button and press simultaneously <Command (⌘) + R key> and enter the <Recovery mode>
- Next hit on <Utilities> that is showing at the above of your screen and chooses <Terminal>
- Type <resetpassword> “all word in lower-case letters” in the Terminal line.
- Choose the volume along with an admin account.
- Now you can select account that you wish to reset the password.
- Next enter your new password and again retype it.
- Type password hint and hit on <Save> option.
- Further get to shut down your Mac
Again restart your Mac system and you can log in with using your created new password.
Reset Mac Password With Using FileVault
This method will be applicable if you are getting to FileVault, a disk-encryption utility, enabled on your Mac computer. FileVault can be turned on manually, but if you haven’t it, then skip this method.
- Firstly you have to retrieve recovery key you had while getting to turn on FileVault for first time. If you haven’t recovery key then immediately contact to <Apple support>.
- Next restart your Mac computer
- When, you have been logged in screen then click on account with forgotten password.
- Further you have to try enter three times wrong password into login window, and then you will see your password hint along with to <Reset it using your Recovery Key>
- Now enter recovery key
- Next again enter new password and set up a hint for it, and then click on <Reset Password>.
Reset Mac Password Using Terminal as Single User Mode
This is very simple method to recovert Mac password and administrator password as well. For this, you have to need type some commands in your Terminal; below mentioned all commands:
- Firstly get to shut down your Mac system, and then again restart and press simultaneously <Command (⌘) + S> keys then you will enter into single-user mode.
- Next type <mount -uw /> and hit Enter
- Type , and then press Enter key
- Now write passwd username and making ensure to replace <username> with the exact name of the account that you wish to reset a password, and then hit Enter key
- Type new password and hit Enter
- Again retype new password and hit on Enter key
- Now type Reboot and again hit on Enter key
Once done it process, your Mac password has been reset successfully in single user mode.
Reset Mac Log In Password Using Keychain
- Firstly open Keychain Access with going to Keychain Access > Preferences.
- In newer version of Mac OS, new button will be appeared with labelled <Reset My Default Keychain> in your General pane. If you containing button then hit on it and remove the old keychain and then make a new one along with new password.
- If by chance, this button is not displaying then select Edit > Keychain List, and choose login keychain and hit on <-> button to remove it.
- Now close <Keychain Access> and restart your Mac. New login keychain will getting to start collecting and storing the password for Wi-Fi networks, email accounts, Web sites, and other logins as they occur.
Reset Mac Password Using Target Disk Mode
If above all methods are not able to recover your Mac admin password then this trick can be used for recovery admin password when your data had been lost in Mac. It is getting to enable to access the hard drive on Mac and Macbook from another Mac system. How’s here?
- Firstly you have to get shut down your Mac with Apple > Shut Down
- Now you should be connected Mac to another Mac computer with using of “Thunderbolt cable“. Be carefully! Here, USB cable not applicable.
- Next get to restart your Mac and hold down the <T key> while it boots.
- Now your Mac can be used to recover data from another Mac computer.