In this post, we will show you about how to password protect a folder on Mac and Macbook, and then your Mac helps to keep your private file safe and secure.
For getting to protect documents, files, and any images files having most sensitive data from unwanted access, you can assign a password to Mac folder. Then it will allows to lock a folder on your Mac.
How to Password Protect Folder in Mac
Here, we will discuss about how you can put password in your Mac folder and Macbook with using 3 incredible easier methods.
How to Add Password to Folder on Mac using Disk Utility
Disk Utility lets you to password protect folder via an encrypted disk image, then it will help to generate new locked DMG file that need you to introduce a password to unlock folder. Here you will learn about how to lock a folder on your Mac and Macbook; here’s how:
- If you haven’t any created folder already then firstly you have to create folder that you want to encrypt.
- Launch the <Disk Utility> by typing “disk utility” into Spotlight’s search bar.
- When it will be open then you have to navigate “File > New Image > Image from Folder” from top menu bar.
- This will open new window and Choose folder at which you wish to add password protect.
- Now new window will appear that lets you to enter new folder name, add tags (it is optional) and select the location where you wish to save it. And further, you have to need open encryption option from the drop-down menu, and then select the <256-bit AES encryption> because it is most protected but takes longer to get encrypt and decrypt. Both formats allow to protect your data but 128-it AES encryption is better.
Important! “Your required password must be at least eight characters long and contains a combination of lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers, and special characters.”
- Here another window will be appearing where you can enter desired password for folder or image file as well.
- Now you will get confirmation pop up and then you click on <Choose> option for making confirm.
- Important: press on <Image Format> and then select <read/write> option from drop down menu.
- Finally, hit on <Save> option to make your password protected folder.
- When this process has been done then you can again confirm by clicking on <Done> tab.
- Now you can find your password protected folder where you select to save it.
NOTE: After creating password protected folder, you must be deleted original folder because this original folder is not locked.
How to Password Protect Folder on Mac without Disk Utility
Some guys have a question that is it possible to add password on your Mac folder?
Then Answer is that It is possible to password protect folder in Mac without Disk Utility.
Here, we will explain two easy methods that help you to lock a folder on mac; below mentioned both:
How to Lock Folder on Mac via Terminal
With following few simple steps, you can create password protect folder on your Mac; below mentioned all:
- Firstly open <Terminal App> by using Launchpad or Searchlight.
- Type the accurate command without any mistake like as:
openssl aes-256-cbc -in ~/Desktop/Photo.jpg -out ~/Desktop/Encrypted.file. Make sure that the part labeled ~/Desktop/Photo.jpg will be replaced with the file that you wish to encrypt including its specific location. On the other hand, the part called jpg -out ~/Desktop/Encrypted.file will tell you the location where the actual encrypted file will be saved.
- Now you can type your Command And Password, and now you have to enter command and add password for getting encryption when you are prompted.
- Further you can use The Encrypted File. You will now have the capability to view its Encrypted file within your Desktop. It depends on your own needs and preferences. However, you can also set the directory and its encryption methods.
How to Lock Folder on Mac Using Encrypto App
Encrypto lets you better User-friendly interface for encrypting and decrypting folder with using of Drag and Drop method. Now let’s start!!
- Firstly you have to need Download & Install Encrypto app from your App Store.
- Once completed process, launch your Encrypto app on your Mac
- Now app window will be appear and drag the folder into this window, you want to encrypt.
- Here, required the password that you want to use lock your folder. It also offer an <optional hit> if anytime you forgotten your password.
- Once it done, hit on <Encrypt> to make your archive folder.
- Further drag this archive folder into safe location; for this select <Share File> and <Save As> option to send it elsewhere.
- Now open this archive folder and make double click on it, and then feed your password, hit on <Decrypt> to unlock your folder.
How to Unlock and Re-Lock Password Protected Folder
- Firstly find out your Password protected folder
- Then Make double click and open it.
- Now this will ask you to enter your correct password, and then you have to need enter exact password that you used while making disk image and hit on <OK>.
- After introducing you same password, you will view disk image on your desktop. And further, make double click to open it and you can view you contents in it.
- Re-Lock: Make double click and select the <Eject “your folder name“>
- For getting to delete permanently your locked folder, navigate this: launch Disk Utility > select the disk image from the left sidebar > make right-click on it, and select ‘Delete APFS Volume.’
- Don’t try to discard your .dmg file, if you execute it then everything will be gone.
Now, I hope that you can quickly, safely, and freely lock your important folder along with password.