In this article, we will explain you about how to hide files and folders on Mac and Macbook. You can hide any files and folders on your Mac system without knowing sound technical skill. At the end, you will say that i can do it myself!!
The main reason to hide files and folders on macOS is for security. Mac’s safety itself, so that it work smoothly without any errors and bugs. Hidden files have service files to Mac’s operating system.
Second reason is to make you stress – free. Invisible files on your Mac offer your system a clean and tidy appearance.
How to Hide Files on Mac
In this section, we will guide you about how to hide single and multiple files and folders on your Mac computer with using 10 effective methods, you can use one of them.
Hide Files and Folders on Mac Using Terminal
Terminal is a built-in app in your Mac and allows you to hide files and folders without requiring any passwords and usernames. This is most easy method; here’s how:
- Firstly open Terminal app by using Spotlight and Finder, Otherwise press <Command + Space> and then type <Terminal> into search bar and hit enter key on Mac’s keyboard.
- Next type the command chflags hidden and hit the <Enter> key to execute this command.
- After executing above command, drag and drop any file or folder into <Terminal Window>.
- Further press <Return Key or Enter key> from Mac’s keyboard, and then this file or folder will vanish.
Now you have to need remember the file path as you require it to show all hidden files and folder later.
Hide Files Using Keyboard Shortcuts
This is quick and little keyboard shortcut that lets you to hide files and folders. Here’s how:
If file is unhide then Press <Shift + Command + .> keys same time, and your file will be hide.
If your file is hide, Press <Shift + Command + .> keys same time, and file will be unhide.
This command works as vice versa in between hide/unhide status of the file or folder.
Hide Files Using Library Folder
Library Folder is a best method to hide files, because Library folder is default hidden. So you can store your important/secretive files and folders. How to use it:
- Firstly open your Finder on your Mac.
- Next hold <Option> key to open Finder’s Go menu.
- Further navigate to the Library folder.
- Make a new one folder there and drop all files and folder, you want to hide.
- Now all files dragged into folder will be hidden.
Hide Files and folders Using ‘FileVault’
This is also easier method to hide files and folders on Mac and Macbook without needing any code and stuff unlike few other ways. Mostly, FileVault is used to lock hard drive along with password and getting it accessible to the admin. You can also use it to hide files and folders with following few simple steps:
- Click on <Apple> icon and then select the option.
- Next select the <Security & Privacy> icon.
- Further click on <FileVault> that is next to
- Hit on icon, and then click on <Turn On> FileVault button.
- Select recovery methods among iCloud or generating a local key.
- Click on <Continue> option
- Again hit on <Continue> button to finish the process and setup.
Now your hard drive and files are protected by FileVault and these are access along with username and password. This entire process will take few times depending upon the number of files on the disk.
Hide Files Using Apple Developer Tools
This is also easy method to hide file and folder, but here you need to install apple developer tools on your Mac.
- Firstly Apple Developer Tools download and install on your Mac or Macbook.
- Once installed it, open Terminal app by using Spotlight.
- Type setfile -a V command followed by name of the file/folder which you wish to hide.
- Now your file/folder will be hidden.
- If you want to undo then repeat this process but use v as lower case into command.
Hide Files by Adding Dot before File Name
You can notice that all Mac’s hidden files and folders begin with dot (.) such as .htaccess, because this is common behavior as text after dot is marked as file extension. So if you wish to hide file and folder on Mac then you can add a dot before their names then it invisible by default.
Hide Files and Folders Using Another Account
Mac lets you to make multiple users account, but you haven’t right to access files and folders of an account from different account. Then you can grab this feature and keep your personal files and folders on another user account. How to work it:
- Navigate Apple menu > System Preferences
- Next this will open new window, and hit on <Users & Groups> option.
- Further press the <Lock> button and then click on <+> button.
- You can put all details for new account to configure a Profile.
Now another account has been created and you can access to all hide files and folders from your main account. Make ensure that files and folders are not able to access in between both accounts.
Important: You must be turned off file sharing: to do this;
Apple Menu> System Preferences> Sharing
Hide Files and Folders Using ‘mv’ Command
With using of mv command you can move single or multiple files from one place to other folder. While implementing this command, to easily it in a folder that’s inside multiple folders. How to use it:
- Firstly open Terminal app on your Mac compute.
- Next type command <mv filename .filename>
- Further change the name of first filename bit to name of file you wish to hide.
- Then change the name of .filename to the system file.
- Now ensure that your files and folders are hidden.
Hide Files and Folders Using ‘Funter’
Funter is a free version application that allows you to handle all hidden files and folders. Funter offer many features like as show hidden files, find hidden folders and hide files on Mac. Funter app integrates along with Finder that you can hide all files and folders on Mac and Macbook. Here’s how:
- Firstly download Funter app and install on Mac system.
- Once installed it, open Funter on your system.
- Next you have to go <Preferences> and then tick on <enable Finder integration> option.
- Further it switches to Finder app and choose the file you wish to hide.
- Make mouse’s right click, open drop-down menu and select the <Hide with Funter> option.
Now your selected files and folders have been hidden on your Mac system.
Hide Files and Folders Using Third Party Apps
If you are not interested above all methods then you can use special program to hide files and folders on your Mac and Macbook. There are few best softwares are Altomac, Hide Folders; Other alternative open source softwares are AES Crypt, Axcrypt, or File Lock PE. You can one of them as you convince.