In this article, we will explain you about how to change folder icon on Mac and customize it. At the end, you will say that it is easier task and i can do it easier.
If you love Mac and you wish to personalize your desktop then this is right place because Mac and Macbook lets you getting to customize your folder icons with changing to their picture, if yours icons have been downloaded or icons from folders.
Coverage Also: How to Change Folder Colors on Mac? Using 2 Simple Methods!!
You can organize your entire desktop with changing folder icons and it also helps to enhance your productivity because it lets you classified your folder into many groups.
How to Change Folder Icons on Mac
Here, we will guide you about how you can change folder icon on your Mac and Macbook with using 3 simple methods like as:
- Using your Own Image or From Downloading Web
- Using Image2Icon App
- Using Folder Icon located in Another Folder
Using your Own Image or From Downloading Web
If you want to change your own favourite picture or downloading from web on your target folder icon, then follow these steps; below mentioned all:
- Firstly you have to create a new folder on your Mac
- Next find out the image from web and download it that you wish to change to folder icon
- Further make double click on this image to open it in your Preview app.
- Now press <Command + A> key for selecting your picture.
- Then select <Edit> option from at the top menu bar.
- This will elevate the drop down menu and choose the <Copy> option.
- Now find out the target folder that you wish to change it.
- Further context menu will be appearing and then select then <Get info> option.
- And then info dialogue box will be display and choose the <Folder icon> that is showing at the top left corner.
Note: If you found new folder icon as <.icn extension> then drag and drop this icon on your chosen folder icon.
- Otherwise your icons have <.png or.jpg extension>, and then make double click for opening it into Preview app.
- Next Select the icon by pressing <Command + A> keys.
- Now you have to go <Edit> tab on the Preview menu bar.
- This will open the drop down menu bar and select the <Paste> option.
- Now finally you have to choose red traffic light at the upper left corner and close this window.
Once done this process, your folder icon has been changed successfully.
Using Image2Icon App
Image2Icon app lets you to transform your disliking cluttered desktop along with bundles of blue folders into collection of images. To do this:
Coverage Also: How to Create Folder on Mac? Using 5 Simple Methods!!
Just you can follow only two simple steps to change folder icon on your Mac. Here’s how:
Firstly you have to download and install Image2Icon app from App Store. Once done it, launch the Image2Icon app on your Mac and Macbook.
- To make drag a picture that you wish to use as a folder icon into Image2Icon.
- Choose the shape of icon and then make drag the folder that you wish to use picture for in the Image2Icon.
Once done it, now your folder is getting to take unique representation of its contents.
Note: If sometime you wish to revert your folder into its original icon then you have to need click the <Restore> option into Image2Icon app.
Using Folder Icon located in Another Folder
If sometime you are not ready to finding out and downloading icon from Web then you can a picture from another folder or file. Here’s how:
- Firstly you have to find out icon that has icon you’d like to use.
- Make right click on this folder icon, and then select the <Get Info> option from elevated drop down menu.
- Next select the folder icon at the top left corner of same window.
- Now go to menu bar and click on <Edit> tab, and then select the <Copy> option.
- Further shut down this window.
- Now you have to locate folder whose icon you want to customize.
- Make right click on this folder icon and choose <Get Info>
- Next choose the folder icon on the new one window
- Now go to menu bar and click on <Edit> tab and then select the <Paste> option form your elevated drop down menu.
How to Restore Original Folder Icon on Mac
If after sometime your mind has been changed about any specific folder icon and you want to restore the default icon then you can do it with following few simple steps; below mentioned all:
- Find out the folder that you wish to restore.
- Make right click on your located folder and select the <Get Info> option from elevated drop down menu.
- Next you have to click on the folder icon at the top right corner of same window.
- Go to <Edit> tab on the menu bar and then select the <Cut> option from drop down menu.
- Now you folder will automatically revert to its default icon, like as blue color folder.
How to Customize All Folder Icons on Mac
Mac allows to customize anyone folder icon or every folder icon. Might be every icon can be dissimilar or use similar image for each icon. If you want to change all folder icons on your Mac at once then it could be little bit difficult.
Note: In really, you wish to change of your folder icons at a same time then you will require making or downloading ICNS file and named as “GenericFolderIcon.icns”.Now you can use this file to swap a presenting file along with similar name which might be found into protected system folder.
Disabling Default Blue Color Folder Icons
- Press simultaneously
and Boot into recovery mode.
- Now you have to need launch terminal app.
- Next write and press Enter key
- Getting reboot your Mac
- Next you can replace file “GenericFolderIcon.icns” located in </System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources> along with your own custom icon files which are using same file name.
- Again getting to Boot into recovery mode
- Launch Terminal app
- Write and Press Enter key
- Now getting to start Reboot your Mac and Macbook.