What is Twisted Pair Cable
Definition: Twisted pair cable is special type cabling that is used in telephone communication and Ethernet network. This cable is made with two separate insulated copper wires, which are twisted together with each other as well as run in parallel form.
This twisted pair offers protection from crosstalk, signal interference, and noise is created by adjacent pair. When electrical current is getting to flow via wire, then it arises a small, circular magnetic field rounding the wire.
Twisted Pair Cable Tutorial Headlines
In this section, we will show you all headlines about this entire article; you can check them as your choice; below shown all:
- What is Twisted Pair Cable?
- Twisted Pair Cable in Computer Network
- Categories of Twisted–Pair Cables
- Types of Twisted-Pair Cables with Examples
- Shielded Twisted Pair (STP)
- Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP)
- Application & Uses of Twisted Pair Cable
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What are different types of twisted pair cable?
- What are the popular types of twisted-pair cable available?
- What is the difference between two types of twisted pair cables?
- What are the examples of twisted-pair cable?
- What is the application of twisted pair cable?
- Where is twisted pair cable used?
Twisted Pair Cable in Computer Network, Why to Use?
All transmissions are done with crosstalk, interference, and noise. When wires are getting to twisted, then few parts of noise signals is in the direction of data signals but other parts are flowing in the against direction. Due to different twists, it gets to cancel external waves. The receiver is capable to manipulate the difference in the voltages of two wires for getting to fetch data. So, it gets better immunity opposite noise is obtained.
For making connection in between two computer system for getting to connect this cable, we have to need some connectors on the both edges of the cable. Mostly, RJ45 connector is used for making computer communication. RJ is full form is “Registered Jack“, and it is a male-female type keyed connector.
Categories of Twisted–Pair Cables:
Twisted pair cables are classified by EIA into seven categories −
- Category 1 − UTP used in telephone lines with data rate < 0.1 Mbps
- Category 2 − UTP used in transmission lines with a data rate of 2 Mbps
- Category 3 − UTP used in LANs with a data rate of 10 Mbps
- Category 4 − UTP used in Token Ring networks with a data rate of 20 Mbps
- Category 5 − UTP used in LANs with a data rate of 100 Mbps
- Category 6 − UTP used in LANs with a data rate of 200 Mbps
- Category 7 − STP used in LANs with a data rate of 10 Mbps
Types of Twisted-Pair Cables
There are two examples of twisted pair cable; such as –
Shielded Twisted Pair (STP): Shielded twisted pair was introduced by IBM and it is used firstly in IBM organization only. Shielded twisted pair cable consist a metal foil otherwise braided mesh undercover that mainly encase every pair of insulated conductors. So, metal casing helps to improve the quality of wire by securing the penetration of noise otherwise crosstalk. It has higher price as well as bulkier.
It is also called the metal shield that is normally linked to ground so as to decrease the interference of noise. STP is used for both transmissions analog and digital. STP’s bandwidth is supported by cable depends on thickness of wire and its distance that to be walked by signal on it.
Other considerations of about STP Cables:
- STP cable can support various megabits/sec for some kilometer and less expensive.
- It provides speed or throughput of approximate 10 to 100 Mbps.
- It can support maximum cable length about 100 meters.
- It gets low attenuation than UTP cable.
- STP is more expensive compare to UTP.
- STP contains must be grounding cable.
Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP): UTP cable has four pair of color coded copper wires together and they are covered with flexible plastic sheath. Due to twist of copper wire, it gets cancel electromagnetic interference from the external sources.
Unshielded twisted pair cable does not contain any other extra shielding such as meshes or aluminum foil, which are appended in bulk, are used. UTP cables do not implement any shielding to counter EMI and RFI effects.
UTP cables are mostly used in the computer network as well as in the telecommunication sector as telephone wires and Ethernet cables. It is small size, so easy to installation.
Other considerations of about UTP Cables:
- It provides the speed or throughput of almost 10 to 1000Mbps.
- It contains the maximum cable length of about 100 meter.
- UTP gets high attenuation than STP.
- It generates higher crosstalk to STP.
- It does not need grounding cable.
Application of Twisted Pair Cable
Twisted pair cable is used in various areas, like as –
- Ethernet network
- Security camera system
- It is used in Telephone lines that offers the voice and data channels.
- Using in Local Area Networks (LAN)
- DSL lines help to make use of these cabling.
- Using in analog and digital transmission
- It is also used in RJ-45
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What are different types of twisted pair cable?
Twisted pair cable has two different variants like as shielded twisted pair (STP) and unshielded twisted pair (UTP), and they contain each pair of wire along with an aluminium foil shield for furthermost isolation.
What are the popular types of twisted-pair cable available?
Today, twisted pair cable is getting more popularity like as CAT-5e 100 MHz unshielded twisted pair cabling, CAT-6 250 MHz UTP cable, CAT-6a 500 MHz UTP, CAT-7 600MHz shielded pair cabling, so no.
What is the difference between two types of twisted pair cables?
Main difference in between is that STP (Shielded twisted pair) is an twisted pair cable that confined in foil or mesh shield that protect the cable against electromagnetic interference. On contrary UTP (Unshielded twisted pair) is a cable along with wire that are getting to twist each other to decrease the noise and crosstalk.
What are the examples of twisted-pair cable?
There are many examples whereas twisted pair cable is used for example: Digital Subscriber Line, telephone lines, local area networks, and more.
What is the application of twisted pair cable?
There are many application areas whereas it is used like as Ethernet network, Security camera system, DSL lines and more.
Where is twisted pair cable used?
Mostly, twisted pair cable is used in different areas like as Ethernet network, telephone lines, DSL lines, Security camera system, LANs, and more.
Through this article, we have been discussed detail information about what is twisted pair cable with its diagram, types, examples, application, Uses and more.
If this post is useful for you, then please share it along with your friends, family members or relatives over social media platforms like as Facebook, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and more.
If you have any experience, tips, tricks, or query regarding this issue? You can drop a comment!