Hi guys! Here, we are going to explain about What is Page Fault in OS; and involving of Page Fault handling in OS with ease. This is unique article over the internet. So make sure, at the end of this article; you will definitely fully educated about Page Fault in operating system without getting any hassle.
If you want to know about page fault in OS then you must be study about Virtual Memory then you can read this article. Virtual Memory in Operating System
What is Page Fault in OS?
Definition – Page fault dominates like an error. If any program tries to access piece of memory but which is not existed into physical memory, means main memory, then page fault will be occurred. The fault specifies the O/S that it must trace the all data in to virtual memory management, and after that moves it from secondary memory like as hard disk to primary memory of system.
Page Fault in OS Diagram
In the programming methods, page fault arise the exception, that specifies the O/S, which access the memory slots from virtual memory for running the program in continue nature.
Embedded System Tutorial Headlines:
In this section, we will show you all headlines about this entire article; you can check them as your choice; below shown all:
- What is Page Fault in OS?
- Page Fault Handling in Operating System
- Page Fault in OS ‘Terminology’
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What is page fault in OS with example?
- What are the two causes of a page fault?
- How do you fix a page fault in Operating system?
- What is page fault frequency OS?
- How to reduce page faults?
- How to fix page faults in OS?
- What is page fault in cache?
- What is the procedure for handling the page fault?
Page Fault Handling in Operating System
- All hardware components of computer monitor program counter and kernel that are saved in the stack, and CPU registers have to store all current running state information.
- Assembly programs help to store general registers as well as volatile information.
- Page fault is searched by the operating system, and trace the virtual pages which are needed.
- Hardware registers also consist the all those needed information.
But, if required page is not loaded in to memory, then page fault trap is arisen.
Now these steps must be followed for handling the page fault.
- Firstly, get check to main memory address requests; ensure those requests must be valid.
- If reference got invalid then the process will be terminated, otherwise the page is going to paged in.
- Then, Free-frame list locates the free frame.
- Now disk operation will be scheduled to fetch the needed page from disk.
- When I/O operation is done, and new frame number will be added in the process’s page table, and invalid bit is altered. Now this is valid page reference.
- If, further any page fault will be found then recycle these instructions from starting.
Page Fault in OS ‘Terminology’
If required page is not existed in the RAM then it is known as “PAGE MISS”.
Page Fault Rate
That rate, on which threads find the page fault in the memory, it is known as “PAGE FAULT RATE”. Page Fault Rate is measured in Per Second.
Page Fault Time
Time taken to fetch page from secondary memory + time taken to retrieve from RAM after loading the needed page, and that taken combine time is known as “PAGE FAULT TIME”.
Hard Page Fault
If needed page is existed in the page file in the hard disk, then it is known as “HARD PAGE FAULT”.
Soft Page Fault
If need page is not presented in hard disk but it found somewhere else in memory, and then it is known as “SOFT PAGE FAULT”.
Minor Page Fault
If process requires any data, and that data existed in memory but the same time it is allotted to another process, then it is known as “MINOR PAGE FAULT”.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is page fault in OS with example?
Whenever any program is getting try to access data or code from its address space, but at the same time it is not presented in the main memory then it will be happen page fault. Above in this article, we already told you above in detail about page fault with examples; you can read them.
What are the two causes of a page fault?
Page faults are occurred, when any program tries to get access memory from its address space, but it is unable to find it. Page faults have two variants like as hard and soft page fault.
Second condition occurs whenever the OS requires more physical memory but it is presented into main memory.
How do you fix a page fault in Operating system?
Through this post, already we have been explained about in detail page fault handling step by step; you can read them.
What is page fault frequency OS?
Page fault frequency algorithm refers to dynamic changes in the program behavior while getting execution. So, its performance is expected to be less dependent on prior knowledge of program behavior during execution.
How to reduce page faults?
Usually, if it has a smaller memory footprint and using things that will be often getting to access around the same time on the same page then it will reduce the number of page fault.
How to fix page faults in OS?
Firstly, determine the page fault that is soft or hard then enhance the amount of memory that is allocated to the application’s working set. Few applications let you to change the working of set memory in the configuration and going to increase the memory allocated in the virtual machine.
What is page fault in cache?
Whenever the page is accessed by a running program is not available in the physical memory, then this page is visible in the secondary memory then page fault occurs in the cache refers to Cache Hit.
What is the procedure for handling the page fault?
Go to above this post and read the page fault handling section, there you can check all steps one by one to handle the page fault in OS with diagram.
Now i hope that you have fully understood about What is Page Fault in OS; and involving of Page Fault handling in OS with ease. If this article is useful for you, then please share it along with your friends, family members or relatives over social media platforms like as Facebook, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and more.
If you have any experience, tips, tricks, or query regarding this issue? You can drop a comment!