Hi Learners! Here, we are going to cover all possible things about what is time sharing operating system and its example, features; involving with many advantages and disadvantages of time sharing operating system. This is unique article over the internet. I hope that at the end of this post; you will definitely fully aware about time sharing operating system without any hassle.
What is Time Sharing System?
Definition: Time sharing means to share time into multiple slots in several processes. Time sharing system allowing multiple clients for getting access to specific system resources at once from different remotely locations and it is a logical extension of multi programming system. In this technique, time of single processor is shared in among of multiple users over the entire network system simultaneously.
Time Sharing OS Tutorial Headlines:
In this section, we will show you all headlines about this entire article; you can check them as your choice; below shown all:
- What is Time Sharing System?
- Time Sharing System in OS
- Diagram of Time Sharing Operating System
- Examples of Time Sharing Operating System
- Features of Time Sharing Operating System
- Time Sharing Operating System Advantages and Disadvantages
- Advantages of Time Sharing Operating System
- Disadvantages of Time Sharing Operating System
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What is time sharing operating system with example?
- What is meant by time sharing systems?
- What are the examples of time sharing operating system in real-life?
- What are the features of time sharing OS?
- What are the advantages and disadvantage of time sharing OS?
Time Sharing System in OS
Definition: Time Shared Operating System is also known as the Multi Tasking Operating System. Time-sharing operating system implements CPU scheduling and multi programming system which to deliver to every users a small piece of operating time. The technique of time sharing system relates with batch processing systems.
Time sharing Operating system delivers direct access to multiple users while splitting CPU time in among all users according to schedule system, and this operating system assigns set of time for every user. When this time slot gets time out session then it forwards own control to further user over this system. The time slot is getting very small and all users are provided various impression which they contain own CPU as sole owner of CPU. This small frame of time duration where all users grab attention of CPU, it is called the “Time Slice or Quantum“.
Diagram of Time Sharing Operating System
According to this diagram: User 5 is active state where as user 1, user 2, user 3, and user 4 are getting to wait it means under “waiting state”, but user 6 is ready position for execution.
When, user’s time slice is done, then it passes own control to further user for ready state like as user 6. In this cycle, user 2, user 3, user 4, and user 5 are getting to wait state and user 1 is under ready status. This process flows in this same fashion and so on.
Active State: User’s program is getting to control of CPU where only single program is present in this state.
Ready State: User’s program is ready position for executing but it is waiting to its turn for getting its CPU, but here multiple users can be ready position at once.
Waiting State: Here, user’s program is getting to wait for few I/O operations. Multiple users also can be for waiting position at once.
Requirements of Time Sharing Operating System
- Time sharing OS requires a alarm clock system that helps to send an interrupt signal for CPU after each time interval.
- Memory Protection system helps to protect single job’s instructions as well as interfering all data with other jobs.
Examples of Time Sharing Operating System
For an example, In transaction processing system, all types of processors have ability to execute every user program in small burst or quantum of computation,, like as when n users are exist, then every user is capable to grab a time quantum.
Some Examples of Time Sharing OS
- Windows 2000 server
- Windows NT server
- TOPS-10 (DEC)
- TOPS-20 (DEC)
Features of Time Sharing Operating System
- Each user grabs dedicated time for all operations.
- Multiple online users can use same computer at same time.
- End users make feel that they monopolize the computer system.
- Better interaction in between users and computers.
- User’s request can be made in small time respond.
- It does not need longer have to wait for last task to end to get processor.
- It has ability to make quick processing with lot of tasks.
Time Sharing Operating System Advantages and Disadvantages
There are various advantages and disadvantages of time sharing operating system; below shown all, you can read them:
Advantages of Time Sharing Operating System
- It delivers quick response.
- Every task makes same opportunity.
- Easy to use and user friendly
- It helps to increase performance of entire system.
- Multiple applications can be run at once.
- More efficient and convenient to use
- It eliminates replication of software.
- Interactive computing
- Decrease paper work
- It decreases CPU idle time.
Disadvantages of Time Sharing Operating System
- It creates reliability issue.
- Less security and integrity data and user programs
- Issue of data communication
- It consumes much system resources.
- Hang up problem, so it must have higher specification hardware components because there are lot of users and other applications working at once.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is time sharing operating system with example?
Time sharing operating system needs higher specification hardware and consumes lots of resources. Then CPU idle time is decreased in then time sharing OS. For examples are UNIX and LINUX.
What is meant by time sharing systems?
It is going to use time sharing in the data processing methods, in which many users along with different programs make interaction nearly simultaneously with CPU of large scale digital computer.
What are the examples of time sharing operating system in real-life?
There are many examples, which are going to use in daily life like as Unix, Linux, Windows 2000 server. Windows NT server, and etc.
What are the features of time sharing OS?
Time sharing OS avoids the replication of software, and it offers the quick response. It also helps to decrease the CPU idle time.
What are the advantages and disadvantage of time sharing OS?
In this article, already we have been explained various advantages and disadvantage of time sharing operating system; you can read them.
Through this post, you will completely educated about what is time sharing operating system and its example, features; involving with many advantages and disadvantages of time sharing OS. If this article is valuable for you, then please share it along with your friends, family members or relatives over social media platforms like as Facebook, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and more.
If you have any experience, tips, tricks, or query regarding this issue? You can drop a comment!