Here, main focus on the major difference between Hard and Soft Real Time System is that Real Time Operating Systems specify by having time as a key parameter.
Real time system is predefined system where all jobs have deadline, jobs have to completed by deadline, but output is get delayed then massive loss may happen.
There are two types of real time system, like as –
- Hard Real time Systems
- Soft Real Time Systems
Hard Real Time Systems
In hard real time system, to consider timelines as a deadline, and it should not be omitted in any circumstances. Hard real time Systems does not use any types of permanent memory, so their processes must be complete properly in the first time itself.
Hard Real Time System must generate accurate responses to the events within specified time period.
Examples of Hard Real Time Systems
- Flight Control Systems
- Missile Guidance Systems
- Weapons Defense System
- Medical System
- Inkjet printer system
- Railway signaling system
- Air traffic control systems
- Nuclear reactor control systems
- Anti-missile system
- Chemical plant control
- Autopilot System In Plane
Read Also – Real Time Embedded Systems with Examples
Soft Real Time Systems
In soft real time systems, to consider the processes like as main task, and control the entirely task. Deadlines are not allowed as a priority, if any case deadlines are omitted then omitting processes should not occur in the Soft real time systems.
Examples of Soft Real Time Systems
- Personal computer
- Audio and video systems
- Set top boxes
- DVD Players
- Weather Monitoring Systems
- Electronic games
- Multimedia system
- Web browsing
- Online transaction systems
- Telephone switches
- Virtual reality
- Mobile communication
Read Also – Real Time Operating System with Examples
Difference Between Hard Real Time and Soft Real Time System
Here, we will discuss about 15 Differences between Hard real time and Soft real time system in tabular form; such as –
Hard Real Time System
- It has predefined hard response time is needed that is milliseconds.
2. Hard real time has small data integrity.
3. Hard real time consists short or medium size of all data files.
4. It consists Predictable peak load performance.
5. Hard real time system should not break predefined miss deadlines. Due to miss deadline, entire system gets halt.
6. Hard real time system contains huge utility
7. This system gets synchronous along with all states of environment at every time.
8. It has small laxity, and it offers fully deadline compliance.
9. It has short databases.
10. It contains typically safety critical systems.
11. This system is more restrictive.
12. Computation gets roll back, due to occur error in the hard real time system.
13. This system has predefined all completion of the task or activity.
14. All users of hard real time systems get validation when needed.
15. Examples: Air traffic control systems, anti-missile system, nuclear reactor control systems, and more
Soft Real Time System
- It has predefined time of soft real time system is higher.
2. Soft real time system has long term data integrity.
3. Hard real time consists enlarge size of all data files.
4. It can tolerate peak load performance.
5. Hard real time system can get miss deadlines. But here, due to miss deadline, entire system does not get halt, but degrade performance.
6. Soft real time system contains few utility
7. This system gets degrade their response time because it cannot bear massive load.
8. It has better laxity, so it can tolerate more amounts of deadline misses.
9. It has enlarged databases.
10. It does not contain safety critical systems.
11. This system is less restrictive.
12. Computation gets roll back to last established checkpoint to initiate a recovery action.
13. This system has not predefined all completion of the task or activity.
14. All users of soft real time systems do not get validation.
15. Examples: Weather station, mobile communication, online transaction systems, and more