What is Analog Computer
Definition: Analog computer is special type of computer, where to use data in continuously form, not discrete, and changeable continues stream of data is known as “Analog Data”. Analog computers can store analog data in the continuous physical quantities likes as electrical potential, fluid pressure, or mechanical motion, and finally it produces the result with using of measures.
Analog computers are used in such areas, where to need data to be measure directly without transforming into numbers. Analog computer uses the programs for transforming of problematic equations into analog circuit.
Also Read – Types of Computer and Their Functions
Analog Computer Tutorial Headlines
In this section, we will show you all headlines about this entire article; you can check them as your choice; below shown all:
- What is Analog Computer?
- Types of Analog Computers
- Function of Analog Computer
- Examples of Analog Computer
- Characteristics of Analog Computer
- Advantages of Analog Computer
- Disadvantages of Analog Computer
- Difference Between Analog and Digital Computers
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What is the name of the first analog computer?
- What is meant by analog computer?
- What is analog computer with example?
- What are the major 5 examples of analog computer?
- What is the analog computer example in daily life?
- What is analog computer used for?
- How many types of analog computer are there?
- What is the advantage of analog computer?
- What are the functions of analog computer?
- What is difference between analog and digital computers?
Types of Analog Computers
There are many different types of analog computer; below shown each one in detail:
Also Read – What is Supercomputer and its Types?
- Slide Rules
- Differential Analysers
- Castle Clock
- Electronic Analog Computers
- Mechanical Analog Computers
- Pneumatic Analog Computer
- Hydraulic Analog Computer
Slide Rule is very simplest types of analog computer, and this computer helps to produce approximate result for simple mathematical operations. All users slide the hashed rod to line up along with several marking in the other rod, and it help to read this equipment depend on line up of different kinds of hash marks.
Differential Analysers computers were designed to solve for all differential equations. These computers had large size to modern computers, because today those computers fill space like as PC.
Castle Clock has better representation of several uses to mechanical analog computers. Castle Clock analog Computer was developed by Al-Jarazi. This computer was able to store different programming commands. Castle Clock computer’s height was 11 foot, and it takes round of moon and sun. The computational part of this computer permitted users to set veriable length of the day depends on the running season.
Electronic Analog Computers
Firstly, Electronic analog computer was developed in USA, and initially they were used in the different missiles, airplane layout, and in flight simulator. Electronic Analog Computer contains thousands of vacuum tubes, but further some time replaced by transistors.
Latest analog computers are designed to use electrical signal flowing through several resistors and capacitors, instead of mechanical interaction of their components. The voltage of the signal produces the result in the form of graphic displays. Mostly, these types of computers are enabled for different computing and defense technology system.
Mechanical Analog Computers
Mechanical analog computers are designed along with different components such as gears and lever, in which not use electronic parts. It produces output while turning of gears, and it can perform multiplication and division operations. Examples are – Cosmic Engine, Pascaline, Stepped Reckoner etc.
Pneumatic Analog Computer
These computers use the compressed air in the form of power source that is very simple and inherently analog, and these computers mostly used in the nonresidential building areas.
Hydraulic Analog Computer
First, hydraulic analog computer was developed by Mihailo Petrovic Alas in 1868-1943. Firstly, main objective of designing of this computer is to solve the differential equations.
Analog Computer Function
Also Read – Complete Guide to Mainframe Computer
Analog computer works on the supply of
regularly flowing of electrical pulses, and show output continuously. For example – Side rule and speedometer of an automobile, they are displaying their results in real-time. But this device has less memory unit, so they are only capable to perform few types of calculations. Analog computer is very useful machine to solve the differential equations. The accuracy of result those machines are low but they are faster in speed to digital computers, and they are capable to compute all instructions in parallel form.
Components of Analog Computer
- Precision resistors and capacitors
- Operational amplifiers
- Fixed-function generators
Examples of Analog Computer
Also Read – What is Micro computer? Its Types
Analog Computers are used in different application. Below all mention:
Analog Computer Uses
Voltmeter: A voltmeter is going to use to appear the potential difference existing in between two points of an electrical network, and analogue voltmeters consist of a deflecting needle and getting to curve graduated scale on the display screen.
Thermometer: Analogue thermometer lets to use of graduated scale and properties of mercury to fulfil and execute its operations. It also helps to determine the fever level of human body; therefore to diagnose the body temperature is suitable example of analogue computer.
Analogue Clock: An analogue clock is mostly used gadget in our real life. Mostly guys are not known about that analogue clock is an example of analogue computer. It designs to use of quartz crystal that is getting to suspect with the piezoelectric effect.
Seismometer: A seismometer is an analogue device that is used to keep records the intensity of an earthquake. This component is totally kept touch along with earth’s surface. Whenever, earthquake happens then it generates the waves during an earthquake are known as seismic waves, then seismic waves are getting to record them on the graph paper present into setup, named as seismograph.
Speedometer: A Speedometer is also analogue device that lets you to check the speed of your running vehicle. The scale and properties of speedometer is perfect graduated, measure in KM per hour. The speed is getting to point along with of a needle that lets to defect freely as per the analogue signal received by it.
Tide Predictors: A tide predictor is a perfect example of a mechanical analogue computer. It builds to use of mechanical machinery to get note the height of tides at the regular intervals. The location and motion of earth, sun, and moon celestial bodies are very well known, which is why it is easy getting to predict tides in a precise manner.
Flight Simulators: A flight simulator is also going to use to make an illusion of all issues while providing the training of a pilot. The simulator makes a perfect replica of real cockpit along with using of hydraulic pumps, image generators, sound systems, motion actuators, and so on. These computing components are getting to deal into our real life or analogue signals that lets us to use flight simulator underneath the section of analogue computes.
20 Examples of Analog Computer
Here, we are going to show you more than 20 examples of analog computer; below mentioned all:
- Hybrid Controller
- Simulation of a Spaceship
- Mass-Spring-Damper System
- Simulation of Car-Suspendion System
- Simulation of a Moon-Landing
- Squash Simulation
- Longitudinal Aircraft Simulation
- Lorenz Attractor
- Joukowski Airfoil
- Rendezvous Simulation
- Vehicle Simulation
- Doorknob and Lock
- Telephone lines
- Resistance of Capacitor
- Frequency of Signal and Voltage
- Analog Sound Processor
- Toilet Flush Mechanism
- Kerisson predictor
- Operational Amplifiers
- Mechanical Integrators
- Electric Integrators
- Tide Predictors
- Librascape and balancing computer
Characteristics of Analog Computer
Also Read – Several Applications of Supercomputer
Here, we will spread light on various features of Analog Computer. Such as –
Analog Computer Features are:
- Real time operations- several signal values can be manipulated concurrently.
- No need the transducers to transform input/output to digital electronic form.
- Programmers can analysis the problems in real-time and fix them.
- Less consumption of bandwidth.
- It has more speed to produce result.
- More accurately
- All data is represented in continuously flow along with large range of machine.
Advantages of Analog Computer
The main advantage of analog computer is that lets you to appear the output as a simple or graphical format along within a less time duration. Digital Computer needs the complex programming and graphical programs into real time transformations, whereas analog computers are totally different from them.
Disadvantages of Analog Computer
Also Read – Important Functions of Mainframe Computer
- Computations operations have various limitations to dynamic range like as not more about 125 dB.
- The size of generated results can be taken inordinate amount of setup time frame.
- More power consumption.
- Its result is displayed only in real time, so less probability to store its result for future uses.
- All elements of problems work on the large different time scales, so it’s difficult to deal along with accurately values.
- Signal conversion’s rate is higher, which are displayed inside.
- Less possibility – upgrade to digital interface.
Difference Between Analog and Digital Computers
Also Read – Different Components of Mainframe Computer
Here, we will discuss about various differentiate between analog and digital computer in table form. Such as –
- It displays data in continuously form.
- Its measurement unit is physical values like as temperature and pressure as well.
- Its signal’s type is electromagnetic wave.
- Transmission of analog signal acts as without content.
- It does not contain its memory unit and computing terminals.
- No having input/output devices
- It enables physical devices to determine the continuously variable data. For example – Thermometer
- Examples are – Speedometer, telephone lines, Astrolabe, Oscilloscope
- Applications are – Determine of several physical quantities and other scientific operations.
- Components are resistors and capacitor.
- Lack of abilities in all areas to digital computer
- Slow speed
- Need technical staff to operate it.
- Need low level of electrical noise in the circuit to get accuracy.
- It displays data in discretely form 0 and 1.
- It transform all data into binary form (0 and 1), and then it executes all operations on them.
- Signal’s type is sequence of voltage pulses.
- Its transmission is done with content of signal.
- It contains memory unit for storing result.
- Having input/output devices
- It produces the text or visual output along with highly accuracy. For examples – monitor and printer.
- Examples are – All Personal Computers like as IBM PC, HP PC, DELL PC, and more.
- Applications are – Home Usage, small or large scale business and other personal usages.
- Components are logic gates, processors and toggle switches.
- It can emulate of all behavior of analog computers.
- Faster to Analog computer
- No need qualified staff to operate it.
- No effect of electrical noise in digital computer
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the name of the first analog computer?
“Antikythera Mechanism” is usually referred to the first known analogue computer.
What is meant by analog computer?
Analog computer is any class of electronic device whereas continuously variable physical quantities like as fluid pressure, or mechanical motion are referred into analogous to the corresponding quantities into issue to be fixed.
What is analog computer with example?
Analog computer is special kind of device that is used to process data into continuously format, not discrete, and changeable continues stream of data is called the ‘Analog Data’. For examples are Astrolabe, Oscilloscope, Television, and more.
What are the major 5 examples of analog computer?
Examples of analogue computers are: Thermometer, Seismometer, Voltmeter, Flight Simulators, Speedometer, etc.
What is the analog computer example in daily life?
There are many examples or analog computer that are used in your real life like as Analogue Clock, Voltmeter, Thermometer, and more.
What is analog computer used for?
Analog computer is special type of system that is used for getting to process analog data, and it is able to keep store data into continuous format of physical quantities and execute the calculation by using of measures.
How many types of analog computer are there?
There are many different types of analog computers, which are already shown above in this article, you can check them.
What is the advantage of analog computer?
The main advantage of analog computer is that lets you to appear the output as a simple or graphical format along within a less time duration. Digital Computer needs the complex programming and graphical programs into real time transformations, whereas analog computers are totally different them.
What are the functions of analog computer?
The main function of analog computer is to process the analog data and then to keep store data into continuous form of physical quantities and execute calculations with the help of measures.
What is difference between analog and digital computers?
In this blog post, we already have been explored 15 major differences between analog and digital computers; check them be carefully!
The Bottom Lines
After reading this blog post, you must be learnt about what is analog computer and its examples, types, functions, characteristics, features, and advantages & disadvantages as well. If this article is valuable for you, then please share it along with your friends, family members or relatives over social media platforms like as Facebook, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and more.
If you have any experience, tips, tricks, or query regarding this issue? You can drop a comment!