MAC Address is the abbreviation of the Media Access Control Address. It is the unique identifier that is assigned to every device with the Network Interface Controller (NIC).
The identification of a MAC Address is that it is a series of 12 digits listed as a physical address in the system. Each Adapter that performs wireless activities, whether it is a router, ethernet, or any other device, has its own MAC Address.
The MAC Address is a Network address that helps the device connect and communicate with other network devices in their network segment.
In most cases, the users look for the MAC address for troubleshooting network problems. This is because it enables us to find out which device is malfunctioning to easily fix it.
There are many people who ask, “how do I find the MAC Address of my device” as they are unaware of certain technicalities. This is why we are here to guide you about the ways following which anyone can perform a quick MAC lookup to convert the MAC address to the device name.
Read this article to learn about your device’s media access control address.
How to Find MAC Address?
MAC Addresses can be found in different ways on different devices. Here are the ways you can find the MAC Address on the computer and mobile devices.
Let us tell you how to find MAC address in Windows, Apple, and Android:
Find MAC Address in Windows
To learn about the MAC Address of your Windows system, you have to follow the steps below:
- Open the search box and look for CMD
- Execute the Command Prompt box, which is also known as exe
- Type the command “ipconfig/all”. (don’t forget to add space between g and /)
- Here you will see information about your device’s Physical Address
Here’s an example of Physical Address and MAC Address: 00:1A:C2:7B:00:47
It’s easy to find the MAC address not only on your system but also on other systems unless there is Windows OS installed. You can use this method on any computer system whether it’s Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.
Find MAC Address in Apple System
To learn about the MAC Address of your Apple system, you have to follow the steps below:
- Open the Apple Menu on your Apple system
- Click the System Preferences from it
- Further, you have to select the Network option on it
- Select Airport option to check the MAC Address of the Wireless Adapter and Finally Click Advance where you will see MAC address as in Airport ID.
- Select the Built-in Ethernet option to check MAC Address for Network Cable Adapter, and then click Advance to get MAC Address displayed as the Ethernet ID.
These steps will help you find the MAC address of the Wireless Router Adapter connected to your Apple Computer or the Cable Network Adapter, if there is one. You can use these steps on both types of Apple computers, whether it is an iMAC or Macbook.
Find MAC Address in iOS
It is common for people not to have a system with them. This is why it is important to know how to find the Mac address on an Apple phone with the iOS operating system.
To learn about how to check MAC Address on an Apple phone with the iOS operating system, follow the step below:
- Open your Apple phone.
- Locate the Setting of your Apple Phone.
- Select the General option from the settings of your phone.
- In the general setting select the About option on your phone.
- Finally, you will be able to see Wi-Fi Address which will be listed as a Mac Address.
By following these steps, you can easily find the MAC address of your Apple phone no matter which device you have.
Find MAC Address in Android
Those of you who only own an Android phone and are looking forward to knowing the MAC Address on it. Here are some step-by-step guidelines on how you can find the MAC Address on your Android phone most easily.
- Open your Android phone.
- Locate the Setting in it.
- you have to tap on the option Connections (you will be able to see it at the top).
- Select Wi-Fi after you get in connections.
- There will be an icon for more options (usually, it is found as three dots at the top right corner)
- Once you access the More options in Wi-Fi, you have to tap on Advance.
- Here you will be able to see MAC Addresses written in clear format.
The MAC Address can be important to locate sometimes, as it can help in tracking the device (if it gets lost), troubleshooting the network, and finding important information related to it. Following the above-discussed methods, you can easily find it on your computer and mobile devices.