Multi-core processor is an integrated circuit that contains more than two processor cores linked for getting to enhance performance and decrease the power consumption. So, now will explore about what is multi core processor and its examples and applications; involving with advantages and disadvantages of multi core processor without getting any hassle.
What is Multicore?
Definition – Multicore means such an architecture, in which one Physical processor consist multiple core logics. These processors are embedded into single integrated circuit, and those types of integrated circuits are called of “Die”. Multi core architecture implements multiple processor cores and groups them into single physical processor. Main purpose of using multi core, to get excellent performance of system.
So, this technology is mostly embedded into Multicore processors. Multicore technology is totally based on the parallel computing that helps to enhance the system speed.
Multicore Processor Tutorial Headlines:
In this section, we will show you all headlines about this entire article; you can check them as your choice; below shown all:
- What is Multicore?
- What is Multicore Processor?
- Advantages of Multi-Core Processor
- Disadvantages of Multi-Core Processors
- Examples of Multi-Core Processors
- Applications of Multi-Core Processor
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What is multicore processor in computer architecture?
- What is the best multi core processor definition in computer?
- What are multi cores used for?
- Where is multicore used?
- What is difference between single-core and multi core processor?
- What is difference between multiprocessor and multicore processor?
- What are the different types of multi core processor?
- Which is an example of the multi-core processor which possesses 10 cores?
- What are the some examples of multi core processor?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of multi core processor?
- Which type of application is ideal for multicore processor?
- What are the two features of multi-core processors?
Let’s Get Started!!
What is Multicore Processor?
Definition – Multi core processor contains several processing units means “Cores” on one chip, and every core of processor is capable to perform their different tasks. For example, if you are doing multiple tasks at a same time like as using WhatsApp and Watching movie then one core handle WhatsApp activities and other core manage to another works such as watching movie.
Architecture of Multicore Processor
This architecture of a multicore processor allows to make communication in between entire available cores, and they split all processing tasks and then assigned them accurately. When all processing tasks are done, then this processed data from every core is sent backward to main board (Motherboard) of computer with using of single shared gateway. Due to this technique, to improve the entire performance then single core processor.
Advantages of Multi-Core Processor
There are various benefits (pros) of Multi core processor, such as –
Also Read: What is Dual Core Processor? Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples!!
- It is capable to perform more tasks compare to single core processors.
- It plays best performance for multi thread applications.
- It can perform multiple works in simultaneous with using of low frequency.
- It is able to process huge data compare to single core processor.
- Low consumption of energy while completing multiple tasks at a same time
- It uses Instruction level parallelism.
- It is supported by Moore’s law.
- Higher speed while using of small circuit
- Lesser capacitance
- Multiple transistors per choice
- Shorter connections
- It is used the Pipelining concept.
- You can do multiple tasks at a same time like as to find out virus with using anti-virus while playing game.
- Due to both cores are embedded on single chip, data does not take more time to reach at destination point.
- Multi-core processors occupies less space on the PCB (printed circuit board
Disadvantages of Multi-Core Processors
Here, we will spread light on the several limitations (cons) of Multi core processor, such as –
- It is difficult task to manage it than to single core processor.
- Expensive compare to single core processor.
- It contains multiple processors but it has not double speed compare to simple processor.
- Multi-core processor’s performance is totally based on, which types of tasks are performed by users.
- High power consumption.
- If, these types of processor perform more tasks then they become hotter.
- Multi-core processors take more time for processing, if other processors require linear/sequential processing.
- Faster battery drainage.
Supportive Operating Systems are:
- Microsoft Windows (Windows XP or above)
- Mac OS X
- Most BSD-based systems
Examples of Multi-Core Processors
Homogeneous Multi-Core Processor – In which, all identical processor cores can support same instruction set architecture (ISA).
For example – MPC8641, Intel Core Duo
Heterogeneous Multi-Core Processor – In which, all non-identical processor cores can support
different instruction set architecture (ISA).
For example – Intel CE 2110 Media because it is comprised of Intel Xscale processor core and an Intel Micro Signal Architecture (MSA) DSP core
Applications of Multi-Core Processor
Multi core processors are used in different areas, like as –
- High graphic games like as Overwatch, Star Wars Battlefront, and 3D games
- Computer-aided design (CAD) and Solidworks
- Multimedia applications
- Video editing softwares like as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premier and iMovie
- Scientific tool like as MATLAB
- Embedded systems like as industrial robots
- Digital Signal Processing
- Computer utility like as Excel
- Database servers and high network traffic
- smart phones, laptops, desktops, and tablets
Industrial Applications List :
- Machine vision
- CAD systems
- CNC machines
- Automated test systems
- Motion control
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is multicore processor in computer architecture?
A multi-core processor is a single integrated circuit that has multiple core processing units, usually called the cores. Main purpose of using multi core is to get excellent performance of system.
What is the best multi core processor definition in computer?
Multi-core processor is an integrated circuit that contains more than two processor cores linked for getting to enhance performance and decrease the power consumption.
What are multi cores used for?
The multi-cores let computer to run with multiple processes at the same time along with greater ease, enhancing the performance when multitasking otherwise under the demands of powerful apps and programs.
Where is multicore used?
The multi core processors are mostly going to use in many latest PCs, smartphones, PDA, and tablet electronic devices and help to make our devices run fastest to they would being a single core processor.
What is difference between single-core and multi core processor?
A single core processor contains only one processor internally, but the multicore processor has more than two processors, also known cores; inside one chip.
What is difference between multiprocessor and multicore processor?
The main difference in between multiprocessor and multicore processor is that a multiprocessor has many CPUs, but whereas a multicore processor operates only single CPU.
What are the different types of multi core processor?
A multi-core processor is classified into two categories like as Homogeneous Multi-Core Processor and Heterogeneous Multi-Core Processor.
Which is an example of the multi-core processor which possesses 10 cores?
Intel Xeon E7-2850 has ten cores whereas AMD Phenom IIx2 and Intel core duo has two cores and AMD Phenom IIX3 has three cores.
What are the some examples of multi core processor?
There are some examples of multi core processor like as MPC8641, Intel Core Duo, Intel CE 2110, and etc.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of multi core processor?
In this article, already we have been explained above various advantages and disadvantages of multi core processor; you can check them.
Which type of application is ideal for multicore processor?
The multi core processor is more comfortable for Adobe Premiere, Adobe Photoshop, iMovie, and other video editing software.
What are the two features of multi-core processors?
- Best performance for multi threads applications
- Perform multiple works in simultaneous with using of low frequency
The Bottom Lines
Through this article, you have been fully educated about what is multi core processor and its examples and applications; involving with advantages and disadvantages of multi core processor with ease. If this post is useful for you, then please share it along with your friends, family members or relatives over social media platforms like as Facebook, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and more.
Also Read: Quad Core processor with Examples: Advantages and Disadvantages!!
If you have any experience, tips, tricks, or query regarding this issue? You can drop a comment!