A dual core processor is a technology that integrated with two complete processing units to run in parallel on a single chip. Now, here we will explore about what is dual core processor and its example; involving with many advantages and disadvantages of dual core processor with ease. So make sure, at the end of this post; you will definitely fully aware about what is dual core processor without any problem.
What is Dual Core?
Meaning – Dual core means that two processors are embedded into one integrated circuit, so their caches and caches controllers are combined into single chip. Both processors are linked with each other, and due to this linkage, dual core is capable to execute their operations up to twice as fastest compare to single core processor.
Dual Core Processor Tutorial Headlines:
In this section, we will show you all headlines about this entire article; you can check them as your choice; below shown all:
- What is Dual Core?
- What is Dual Core Processor?
- History of Dual Core Processor
- Dual-core Advantages over Single-core
- Dual-core Disadvantages over Single-core
- Features of Dual Core Processor
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What dual-core means?
- Is dual-core processor good?
- What is dual-core processor and its example in computer?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages dual-core processors?
- What is dual core processor example?
- What are the main features of dual core processor?
Let’s Get Started!!
What is Dual Core Processor?
Definition – Dual core processors are more useful for multitasking environment because both processors perform their operations independently. It is capable to execute 64 bit instructions as well as it is hyper threading supportive. For example, if you are doing two tasks same time such as listen music and playing game then one processor can handle one task like as listen music and other processor manages your game
There are few popular dual core processors, like as
- AMD – A4-3300, Opteron, AMD X2 and Athlon-64
- Intel – Intel Core Duo, Pentium 4 Extreme Edition and Xeon
Dual Core Processors use two types of buses such as “Front Side Bus” and “Hyper Transport Bus”. Hyper Transport Bus is more useful for increasing the clock speed because in which their bandwidth is not shareable between the multiple CPUs.
History of Dual Core Processor
- First dual core processor was developed by IBM, in 2001.
- Intel Pentium EE 840 was introduced in April, 2005 that was used for home computers.
- Then, IBM developed IBM’s Power 4 processor for specific server types of applications, and it was not compatible for home purpose.
- Then, AMD and Intel were getting concentrate on enhancing their clock speeds.
Advantage and Disadvantage of Dual core processor
There are various benefits and limitations of dual core processor. Such as-
Dual-core Advantages over Single-core
Dual core processor has excellent performance compare to single core processor. It is capable to spit their data for processing by several units. Dual core processor has to move between different types of threads compare to single core processor because single core processor can manage two threads at once. Due to use of “Hyper-Threading”, its clock’s speed cannot be increased.
Dual-core Advantages over Multi-core
Dual core processor lets you excellent battery life on your mobile compare to like same speed of multi core processor. Dual core has great clock speed to multi core processor.
Dual-core Disadvantages over Single-core
You know, that single core processor’s performance is getting down compare to dual core processor. But some time, single core can perform outstanding to dual core when CPU’s clock speed is getting higher that is measured into GHz. 3.8 GHz single core processor is capable to outperform then 1.8 GHz dual core processor while processing in single task. Few programs are not able to run on multiple cores then single core CPU helps to execute those programs to dual core processor. Single core processor has good battery life on the mobile compare to dual core processor because single core consumes less electricity.
Dual-core Disadvantages over Multi-core
Dual core processor has not good ability to control multiple tasks at once but multi core processor can perform it easily. Multi core processor has four cores so it can handle for threads otherwise 8 hyper threading at same time duration, that can decrease the need to alter threads than dual core processor.
Other Disadvantages are:
- Produce more heat compare to single core processors.
- More expensive than single core
- Due to overload, sometime Dual core processor’s performance can get degrade.
Features of Dual Core Processor
- To use less energy
- Its caches performs excellent compare to two chip design
- Occupy less space, because all functionality of two chips is presented in single chip.
- It allows user friendly entertainment system.
- Reliable and test technology
- Ideal for multitasking
- Dual core processor’s design is more stable and reliable.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What dual-core means?
Dual core is a CPU that contains two different kinds of processors; they work simultaneously at the same integrated circuit.
Is dual-core processor good?
A dual core processor takes more benefits to gaming because it is capable to keep manage more information at once.
What is dual-core processor and its example in computer?
A dual core processor is a technology that integrated with two complete processing units to run in parallel on a single chip. For examples are – The Intel Core Duo, the AMD X2, and the dual-core PowerPC G5.
What are the advantages and disadvantages dual-core processors?
In this article, already we have been explained above various advantages and disadvantages of dual core processor; you can check them.
What is dual core processor example?
There are many examples of dual core processor like as The Intel Core Duo, the AMD X2, and the dual-core PowerPC G5.
What are the main features of dual core processor?
- Consume less energy
- Its caches performs excellent compare to two chip design
- Occupy less space, because all functionality of two chips is presented in single chip
Now, make ensure that you have completely aware about what is dual core processor and its example; involving with many advantages and disadvantages of dual core processor with ease. If this post is valuable for you, then please share it along with your friends, family members or relatives over social media platforms like as Facebook, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and more.
If you have any experience, tips, tricks, or query regarding this issue? You can drop a comment!