POP means ‘Post Office Protocol’; it is an application layer internet standard protocol that is going to use by email client to get access email from the mail server, and POP3 is the 3 version of post office protocol. So, now here we will explain about what is POP3 along with POP3 full form; as well as various advantages and disadvantages of POP3 protocol with ease. After reading this article, you will definitely fully aware about what is POP3 protocol without any hassle.
What is POP3?
POP3 full form for “Post Office Protocol 3“. Post Office Protocol (POP3) is a simple type of internet protocol that is used in the computer network to access all e-mails from the mail server side by User terminal machine. POP protocol is used in the application layer protocol, and it delivers best ability to fetch and receive all email by users.POP (Post Office Protocol) has two versions first is POP2 and other latest is POP3. POP2 is needed SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to push emails, but POP3 do not require the SMTP protocol. It is integrated into famous e-mail softwares, like as Eudora and Outlook Express.
POP3 Protocol Tutorial Headlines:
In this section, we will show you all headlines about this entire article; you can check them as your choice; below shown all:
- What is POP3?
- History of Post Office Protocol
- Working of Post Office Protocol
- Advantages of POP3 Protocol
- Disadvantages of POP3 Protocol
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What is full form of POP3 in computer networking?
- What is POP3 with example?
- Which is safer IMAP or POP?
- Why is POP3 important?
- What service is provided by POP3?
- What is post office protocol used for?
- What are the advantages of using POP3 over IMAP?
- What is the main disadvantage of POP3?
- How does POP3 protocol work?
Let’s Get Started!!
History of Post Office Protocol
Internet Engineering Task Force developed first version of POP (Post Office Protocol), in 1984 as RFC 918. But back end developers tried to make layout simple and effecting methods to access all emails from server machine. Due to efforts of developer team, whole emails can be read after discontinue from server.
- Post Office Protocol version 2 was designed, in 1985 as RFC 937.
- Post Office Protocol version 3 was developed, in 1988 as RFC 1081 and POP3 was updated various times in later 10 years, and then finally it was released with current specification in 1996 as RFC 1939.
Working of Post Office Protocol
If, users try to check all recently emails then they will establish connection with POP3 server side. User sends the username and password to server machine for getting the proper authentication. After getting connection, users can receive all text based emails and store them on their local terminal (machine), then finally discard all server copies and break the connection from server machine.
POP protocol Uses two types of PORT
PORT 110 – Mostly email users use the default TCP PORT 110 that is connected to POP3 server, but it can’t support encrypted communication.
PORT 995 – If users want to establish connection with securely, then they can use the Transport Layer Security (TLS) or Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) on TCP port 995.
Advantages of POP3
Post office protocol 3 has few benefits, below explain each one –
- No need more server storage space for storing email on server machine, because emails are saved on the local terminal.
- No need internet connection every time for reading emails because all emails can be read offline.
- Need only less storage space for storing emails on the hard disk.
- Attachment files are opened quickly, due to already files downloaded.
- Easy to use
- Simple ways to configure
Disadvantages of POP3
POP3 has some limitations for accessing email from server side, such as –
- Other machine has not permission to access all emails.
- It is difficult task to transfer local mail folders to other email client terminal point.
- User’s system can get virus easily, due to virus infected attachment file with email.
- Entirely email folder can discard at once without intimession.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is full form of POP3 in computer networking?
POP3 stands for “Post Office Protocol 3” that is an older protocol that was introduced to be used on only single computer, but now modern protocols are going to use two synchronization.
What is POP3 with example?
POP3 stands for ‘Post Office Protocol3’ that system allows receiving and holding email on the remote server over the network. For example: how email is kept stored on the server until the recipient download and read the emails.
Which is safer IMAP or POP?
POP3 is more secured compare to IMAP because it is going to use SSL/TLS encryption by default.
Why is POP3 important?
Because the POP3 lets you to get download the email messages onto your local computer system hard drive and read them, when you get offline. POP3 is an email protocol that not only allows getting download and storing locally on your hard drive, but also fully deleted from the server.
What service is provided by POP3?
POP3 lets you to get retrieves emails from the server by getting to download the email to your local email application of the client.
What is post office protocol used for?
The POP (Post Office Protocol) is the most eminent message request protocol over the internet world for transferring messages from an e-mail server to an e-mail client.
What are the advantages of using POP3 over IMAP?
POP3 permits you to read all messages when user is offline mode; as well as it need the less server storage space to keep store all emails.
What is the main disadvantage of POP3?
POP3 doesn’t allow to get access all emails from other machines; and It is difficult task to transfer local mail folders to other email client terminal point
How does POP3 protocol work?
In this article, already we have been explained about the working of POP3 protocol; you can check them.
Through this post, you have been completely educated about what is POP3 along with POP3 full form; as well as various advantages and disadvantages of POP3 protocol with ease. If this post is valuable for you, then please share it along with your friends, family members or relatives over social media platforms like as Facebook, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and more.
If you have any experience, tips, tricks, or query regarding this issue? You can drop a comment!