Clustered operating system acts as similar to parallel operating system as they contain the lots of CPUs. A cluster system is made, if you merge the two or more computer systems. So, now we are going to explain all possible things about what is clustered operating system and its examples and types; as well as many advantages and disadvantages of clustered operating system with ease. After reading this post, you will definitely educate about clustered operating system without any hindrance.
What is Clustered Operating System?
Definition: Cluster systems like as parallel systems because both systems use multiple CPUs. But, main difference is that clustered systems are made by two or more individual systems but they are connected with each other. They have independent computer system along with shared storage medium and all systems perform all tasks together.
Diagram of Clustered Operating System
All nodes of clusters implement two different techniques for making communication with each other like as message passing Interface (MPI) and Parallel virtual machine (PVM).
Clustered OS Tutorial Headlines:
In this section, we will show you all headlines about this entire article; you can check them as your choice; below shown all:
- What is Clustered Operating System?
- Diagram of Clustered Operating System
- Clustered Systems in Operating System
- Examples of Clustered Operating System
- Types of Clustered Operating System
- Advantages of Clustered Operating System
- Disadvantages of Clustered Operating System
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What is a clustered operating system?
- What is the purpose of cluster system in operating system?
- What is difference between distributed and clustered operating system?
- What are the different types of clustered system in operating system?
- What are the main examples of clustered operating system?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of clustered operating system?
Let’s Get Started
Uses of Cluster System:
Main goal of using of cluster system is to provide help in weather forecast, scientific computing, and super computing system.
Clustered Systems in Operating System
Cluster Operating systems are mixer of software and hardware clusters. Hardware cluster provides help to share of ultra performance disks in between all computer systems, and Software cluster offers better environment for all system to work together.
Cluster system has several nodes, and they contain individual cluster software. This software helps to monitor entire cluster system. When, any one node of cluster system gets halt, then other nodes manage of its storage system as well as resources, and then you can try to restart this system.
Examples of Clustered Operating System
Clustered systems are going to use in the following areas like as:
- Weather forecast
- Animated movies
- Supercomputing system
- Load balancing
- Scientific computing
Types of Clustered Operating System
There are primarily three types of cluster system. Below explain each one –
Asymmetric Clustering System: In this cluster system, one node in among of all nodes in the cluster system is getting as hot standby mode, and other left nodes run required needed applications. Hot standby mode is totally safe from failure, and this hot standby node is also part of the cluster system. This node monitors all functions of the server, if any time it gets halt, then hot standby node swaps this position.
Symmetric Clustering System: In this system, multiple nodes help to run all applications, and it monitors all nodes at same time. This cluster system is more reliable compare to asymmetric cluster system because it uses entire hardware resources.
Parallel Cluster System: Parallel cluster system allows to multiple users to access similar data on the common shared storage system. This system is created by special software version and other applications.
Further, Clustered System is divided into three types based on its functionality; Such as-
Load-Balancing Cluster: The cluster needs better ability for getting load balance in between all available computer system. In these types of cluster, all nodes can share their computational workload with other node so to get better overall performance. For example – web based cluster can allot several different web queries for other different nodes so it helps to improve system performance. Few cluster systems implement round robin principle to grab requests.
Fail-Over Clusters: All functions of swapping applications and data resources over from failure system to other ok system in the cluster then it is known as “Fail-Over“. This cluster system is used for cluster database of more crucial circumstances, mail, file, and other application servers.
High-Availability Clusters: This is also called the “HA Clusters“. It helps to improve better availability of cluster system. It contains more extra nodes for using to replace with failure components of cluster system. So, this cluster system gets eliminate one points of failure.
Advantages of Clustered Operating System
There are various benefits of clustered system; below explain each one –
- Clustered system provides much better performance for entire system because in which multiple computers are merged with each other, and they perform their tasks as parallel unit.
- Clustered system is better fault tolerance system, if anyone node gets fail then entire system does not halt.
- Clustered system has great scalability because we can easily add new node with this system.
- It can be stopped server while managing over load from one server to another server.
- It is more reliable and easy to configure.
- It can recover automatic from failure without user intervention.
- Better resource availability
Disadvantages of Clustered Operating System
Few limitations of clustered system; such as –
- It is more costly because it contains expensive hardware and its design.
- Required multiple servers and other hardware components for making one
- It is very hard to monitor and maintenance this system.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is a clustered operating system?
What is the purpose of cluster system in operating system?
The main objective of cluster system in OS is to offer the high availability, load balancing and parallel processing.
What is difference between distributed and clustered operating system?
A cluster system usually keeps manage by one company, and clusters have mostly very less latency and consist of server hardware. But the distributed system can be done anything.
What are the different types of clustered system in operating system?
There are primarily three types of cluster system like as Asymmetric Clustering System, Symmetric Clustering System, and Parallel Cluster System. Each one is explored above in this post; you can read them.
What are the main examples of clustered operating system?
- IBM General Parallel File System
- Microsoft’s Cluster Shared Volumes
- Oracle Cluster File System
What are the advantages and disadvantages of clustered operating system?
Through this post, already we have been explained many benefits and drawbacks of clustered system; you can read them.
The Final Words
Now, I can make ensure that you have been fully understood about what is clustered operating system and its examples and types; as well as many advantages and disadvantages of clustered operating system with ease. If this post is useful for you, then please share it along with your friends, family members or relatives over social media platforms like as Facebook, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and more.
If you have any experience, tips, tricks, or query regarding this issue? You can drop a comment!