Hi learners! Through this article, we will cover various advantages and disadvantages of ring topology; as well as drawbacks & benefits of ring topology with ease. At the end of this post, you will definitely educate about all pros and cons of ring topology without any hassle.
Introduction of Ring Topology
Ring topology is also known as the “Ring Network“. In this network topology, all terminals are linked each other with ring form, and all data is traveled from one by one terminal until they chase their destination point.
In this topology, all packets of data is transferred in two types like as unidirectional and bidirectional. Mostly, ring topology is used in two types of networks such as LANs (local area networks) or WANs (wide area networks). Coaxial cable or an RJ-45 network wire is used to attach multiple computers to each other.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Ring Topology
In this section, we will spread the light about various advantages and disadvantages of ring topology; as well as drawbacks & benefits of ring topology. After reading this article; you will get learn about pros & cons of using ring topology.
Advantages of Ring Topology in Networking
There are several benefits and features of ring topology, below shown each one:
- In which, all data is transferred in the circular form then less probability of packet collision.
- Uni-directional ring topology offers the ultra-speed of data flowing.
- Its performance does not get degrade, while adding extra nodes in the ring topology.
- It is capable to manage large number of nodes over the computer network.
- It has more capacity to bear massive traffic then bus topology because it uses the Token passing principal.
- It offers the excellent communication over a long distance.
- Easier maintenance and troubleshooting then to bus topology
- No required any centralized server to handle of travelling data over the network.
- It is cheaper to other using topologies such as mesh, hybrid, and tree topology.
- Every node is granted similar access authority to it’s attached all resources.
- Peer-to-peer configuration offers best sharing of their all linked resources.
Disadvantages of Ring Topology in Networking
Here, we will discuss few limitations of ring network topology, below mentioned all:
- All data travel on the network via every computer over the network, so its speed slower to star topology.
- If any one computer gets down, then whole network will be affected.
- Required more network hardware component (MAU’s and network cards) for linking every workstation with the network, so it can be more expensive to bus topology.
- Network activity issues can be created, while connecting and disconnecting to any node over the network.
- The ring topology accepts Uni-directional ring, so data packet that means ‘Token’ must have to flow through whole connected nodes.
- It has less performance than to bus topology.
- It is getting more hassle to troubleshoot the ring
- Whole network is depended only single cable.
- Ring topology is unable to scale for extending the network.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the advantage of ring topology over star topology?
While installing the ring topology, you don’t need more hardware configuration; but in the star topology, you have to need additional hardware like as switches, hubs and etc.
What is the advantage of ring topology over bus topology?
While adding extra nodes in the ring topology, its performance not affected; but if you are going to try adding extra node with bus topology then entire network will get effect to its performance.
What is the main feature of ring topology?
Ring topology allows to transfer all data into circular form then it gets less probability of packet collision.
Now, i hope that you have completely educated about advantages and disadvantages of ring topology; as well as drawbacks & benefits of ring topology with ease. If this post is helpful for you, then please share it along with your friends, family members or relatives over social media platforms like as Facebook, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and more.
If you have any experience, tips, tricks, or query regarding this issue? You can drop a comment!