In this article, we will spread the light on many advantages and disadvantages of router in Computer networking; involving with features and applications of router with ease. But, before going to ahead this article, you must be known about what is router in networking with their types.
Introduction of Router
Router is a network hardware device that allows to make communication in between the internet and all devices which are linked to the internet in your house and office.
Router has responsible to receives, analyze, and forward the all data packets from the modem and transfer it to the destination point. After reaching the data packets, the router monitors the destination address; get to make consultation its routing table that take the decision which is the best route for transferring the data packets.
Article Hot Headlines:
In this section, we will show you all headlines about this entire article; you can check them as your choice; below shown all:
- Introduction of Router
- Advantages of Router
- Disadvantages of Router
- Applications of Router
- Summary Pros and Cons of Router
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What is the main advantage for router over switch?
- What are the main disadvantages of router over switch in networking?
- What are the main features of router in networking?
Let’s Get Started!!
Advantages of Router in Networking
There are various benefits of router in the networking; below explain each one such as –
Enhance Productivity: Main aim of using the router is to share the one network connection along with the different types of local or remotely machines. So, multiple users are capable to make connection to the internet so that productivity can be enhanced. A router can also allows to link the different types of network architectures and medias.
Protection: while using of router, first point is going to ahead security over the network connection. If, you want to try to connect internet directly with modem then your computer system can get various threats. So, router is used as middleware in between two and multiple networks, and your system is secured to few extent.
Reduce Network Traffic: While using of internetwork communication, routers implement the dynamic routing methods. Dynamic routing allows to identify the optimal path presented for flowing the data over the internetwork, and it helps to generate the broadcast and collision domains. So, it can overall decrease the network traffic.
Packet Switching: A router is enabled with packet switching and packet filtering services. The router help to get filter the network with the using of filtering rules and guidelines. As per this rule the packets can be allowed or passed through.
Backup System: Due to any case if any external components of network get to halt, then the routers has option to use of other alternative parts for ignoring the issues in routing traffic. Mostly, large scale organizations use this backup system to control traffic efficiently.
NAT Implementation: A router contains the Network Address Translation (NAT), and with the help of NAT, router has a ability to share the connections along with single public IP address as well as can be shared UDP ports. Large organizations must be used the NAT with internet connectivity.
Internal Integrations: A router has a option to get integration along with modems, and Wireless Access Points are offered to make the small types of networks.
Disadvantages of Router
There are various challenges and limitations of router in the networking; below explain each one such as –
Low Speed: Router has less speed compare to repeaters and bridges, because it is not able to read 2 layer of information. Firstly, router is getting to determine the data from physical to network layer. So, all connections get become slowly. Due to use of multiple computer system as a share with the network then router can get to going undergoes situation that is known as Connection Wait.
More Expensive: Routers are higher expensive compare to other networking hardware devices like as hub, bridge, gateway, switch, etc.
Lack of Compatibility: Especially, router has a compatibility issues for 5GHz frequency. Your computer system and its other adapters are supportable with 5GHz frequency, but you are not eligible to get its features.
Worse Reliability: At every time, routers cannot be considered as reliable. Few modem devices are getting to use 2.4GHz spectrum which frequently can get disconnect. Commonly, these types of problems are occurred by users in apartments and flats.
Complex initial Configuration: A router needs many initial configurations and NAT to get setup. If, you want to create a simple connection then there also must be required the private IP address allotted. While enabling of more services, it must be needed more configurations.
Less Bandwidth: A router uses the dynamic routing method for making communication purpose, and due to this, it can get networking overheads. Huge amount of bandwidth can be consumed by overloaded networking as result more shortage of bandwidth. For keeping maintaining the records of routing table, frequently router updating over the network need the more bandwidth.
Routable Protocol: A router is able to perform all operations with using of routable protocol. It can offer unique IP addresses to other devices, and it cause can be determined entire network.
Applications of Router
- A router uses the high STM links for getting to connectivity, so it can be used in both types of communications like as wired or wireless.
- Routers are used by many internet service providers for moving data from source to targeted point in the format of picture, video, voice, text, web page, and it is capable to transfer all data over the network with using of IP address.
- Router provides the access restriction, because it can be configure such manner that some users can access all data and permits to other users to access some data only that is defined for them.
- Software testers use the router for WAN communication. For example; the software manger is located in Mumbai at the company office, and their other team members are physically presented other place such as Kolkata. Then with using of router, manager is capable to share his necessary tools and other useful application with linking their computer system to routing helping WAN architecture.
- In wireless networks, routers use the configured VPN, and as result it can be used as client-server model. Then it allows to share internet, hardware resources, internet, video, audio, etc.
- It can be used as modem, because router has inbuilt USB ports. It has sufficient internal storage memory, but router can use external storage devices for holding and sharing huge data.
- Routers act as set up operation and maintenance center of an company that is called the NOC center point.
- Routers help to make connectivity to hardware devices along with remote location network such as BSC, MGW, IN, SGSN, etc.
- Run a firewall
- It allows to link different types of devices with each other.
- To create LAN network
Summary Pros and Cons of Router
Pros of Router
- To decrease the number of broadcast domains
- It can also support to VLAN that helps to get in Logical segmentation of ports.
- It does not retransmit network broadcast traffic.
- Router allows to split the enlarge networks into small internetworks.
- Routers are enabled with stead and reliable connection in between the network hosts.
- Can be used the CAM table for port to MAC mapping.
Cons of Router
- It has limited broadcasts.
- To decrease the number of broadcast domains
- Need bit configuration and proper designing for handling the multicast packets.
- Need inter VLAN routing for making communication in between the VLANs
- Enhance latency due to greater degree of packet filtering.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the main advantage for router over switch?
A router allows you to share one IP address over the multiple network devices; whereas a network switch allows you to connect the multiple devices for getting to expand the LAN networks.
What are the main disadvantages of router over switch in networking?
- A router has less speed compare to repeaters and bridges, because it is not able to read 2 layer of information.
- Router has a compatibility issues for 5GHz frequency. Your computer system and its other adapters are supportable with 5GHz frequency, but you are not eligible to get its features.
- A router has less bandwidth.
What are the main features of router in networking?
- Enhance Productivity
- Reduce Network Traffic
- Packet Switching
- Backup System
- NAT Implementation
Through this article, you have been completed educated about many advantages and disadvantages of router in computer networking; involving with features and applications of router with ease. If this blog post is helpful for you, then please share it along with your friends, family members or relatives over social media platforms like as Facebook, Instagram, Linked In, Twitter, and more.
If you have any experience, tips, tricks, or query regarding this issue? You can drop a comment!