What is Laser Printer
Definition: Laser printer uses the laser and electrical charge model beyond of the traditional printing like as ink onto the paper. Laser printer resolutions is 600 dpi (dots per inch), so it helps to provide neatness and better quality result.
A laser printer acts as photocopier machine that uses laser light and toner to print a document. In laser printer, selenium coated drum is used that allows to print document with using of electrical charges. This printer provides print with the combination of electrical charges and toner, and after completing the printing the extra toner and electrical charges are discard from page.
First laser printer was designed by IBM, 1975 along with its mainframe computers. HP Company revolutionized laser-printing technology in 1984, and then introduced first LaserJet, fast, and reliable printer for using with personal computer.
Types of Laser Printer
There are different types of laser printer; below explain each one –
Personal Laser Printer: These types of printers are very small in size, and they can be placed on a single desk. So, they do not take more space as well as more useful for connecting to one PC by one user. These printers are designed with concern simplex and duplex mechanism.
- Personal laser printer has not fast speed because it can capable to produce only 4 PPM (Pages per Minute).
- It can hold small amount of paper like as 100 sheets at a time.
- It is less expensive.
Office Laser Printer: These printers are big in size compare to personal printers, but they can be placed on the desk along with your computer system. Mostly, office printers are simplex, but now some models are available with duplex mechanisms.
- It can be shared with small group of users.
- Its printing speed is better to personal printer because it is able to print 8-12 page per minute.
- It can hold around 250 paper sheets at once.
- It can be connected with multiple PCs.
- It is expensive to personal printer.
Workgroup Laser Printer: These printers are introduced for large and small network with using by multiple users. These are available both size like as large and small in physically. Workgroup printers are also available in both mechanism like as simplex and duplex.
- It can be share over the entire network, and it helps to increase the productivity.
- Its printing speed is good to office printers; it can print at around 15-30 PPM.
- It is capable to hold large amount of papers, such as around 1500-2500 sheet at a time.
- It should be able to work without operator intervention for long time.
- It is expensive than office printer.
Production Laser Printer: These printers are higher speed printers, and they are floor standing devices. Skilled operators are need for operating them.
- It is able to run continuously all day long, and it can be used as shift-working environment.
- It can print 50-135 PPM at a time.
- It is capable to hold large amount of sheets like as 2500 paper sheets.
- It needs continuous fanfold stationery.
- It is more expensive to other printers.
- It has massive amount on disk storage fonts, forms, and a large job spool.
Production printers are used in different areas where to require high speed with high volume printing such as gas and electricity bills, bank and credit card statements, marketing mail shots, etc.
Colour Laser Printers: These printers have four colours (Cyan, magenta, yellow and black), and with using of these colours it provides the coloured print.
- It is less speed like as around 2-8 PPM in colour mode.
- It is used for only colour printing documents.
- It can be shared in multiple users for colour printing.
- It is more expensive.
Examples of Laser Printer
There are several examples of Laser Printer: such as –
- HP 1020 Plus Single Function
- HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw
- HP Color LaserJet Pro M479fdw
- HP Color LaserJet Pro M454dw
- HP LaserJet Enterprise M455dn
- HP MFP 1200w
- Canon imageCLASS LBP226dw
- Canon imageCLASS LBP2900B
- Canon MF244DW
- Canon MF232W
- Canon MF3010
- Brother HL-L2350DW
- Brother DCP-B7535DW
- Brother HL-B2000D
- Brother DCP-B7500D
- Brother HL-L2321D
- Brother MFC-L2750DW
- Brother DCP-L2541DW
- Xerox B215
Uses of Laser Printer
There are various applications where to use Laser printer; below each one mention
- For hoardings and banner printings
- For getting light fast printouts
- For books printing in book publishing sector
- For newspapers printing in media sector
- In banks, for providing hard copy to bank’s customers like as bank statement
- Other sectors such as – railway and roadway for ticket printing, gas agencies, airlines, etc.